Try out this three step process for setting boundaries
In Nedra Glover Tawwab’s book, “The Set Boundaries Workbook,” she encourages us to speak our boundaries so people can hear. The three steps to setting a boundary are:
- Be clear and focus on the solution
- State what you need and want or say no
- Manage your discomfort
This three step process is a quick and tangible way to guide your thought process when it’s time to set a boundary.
For example: someone asks you to attend a work or school activity on the weekend. One way you can answer this is:
- The solution is not to go as I am wanting to spend time at home
- “Thank you for the invitation, however I need to spend some time at home that day.”
- Listen to their response and continue on with your day
Try Nedra’s way next time you want to set a boundary and contact Safe and Sound Therapeutics for more support!