Coping with triggers?
When triggering situations arise, how can you cope? Most often this emotional processing with begins with therapy, however see below for a list of effective and healthy coping strategies for decreasing the impact of triggers:
- Calling on your social support: Connect with a trusted friend or family member to discuss how you are feeling and receive support
- Deep breathing exercises: Channel your focus to inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the mouth 10 times to create calmness
- Exercise: Move your body, either inside or outside, to change your environment and your state
- Expressive writing: Jot down your thoughts in a couple sentences or pages to identify how you feel
- Keeping a journal: This can be helpful to show if there is a pattern of triggers
- Mindfulness meditation: Whether you use an app or have your own way, try holding space to meditate
By focusing on and mastering a coping strategy, you can detach from the trigger and empower yourself.
Reach out to Safe and Sound Therapeutics for more information on how to cope with triggers.